History
 
FBC Kerens has been active in ministry for the glory of God since 1889
This year we are praising God as we celebrate our 130th anniversary!
 
Click Button Below for Complete History
 
1889
The Rev. W.W. Finley, former pastor of the Bazette Baptist Church, organized the First Baptist Church.
 
1893-1894
Bro. Finley served another year in Kerens
 
1894-1895
During the pastorate of E.R. Freeman, a wooden church building was built and occupied in June 1895.
 
 
1898
John S. Tanner from Baylor University was pastor for one year.
 
1899
J. C. F. Kyger, also from Waco, served and during that year the wooden structure which housed the church, burned, having caught fire from a gristmill located south of the church.
 
1900
J.P. Mahoney was called as pastorThe church was completed that same year.
 
 
 
 
1910
 
Bro. I. Windsor served nine years, the longest tenured pastor up to that time.  Under his leadership effective revivals were experienced, the church building was repaired, and a parsonage was constructed just south of the church. 
 
1920
 
W. A. Corkern arrived as pastor in January
 
1926
 
After a short pastorate of R.E. Bass, Bro. W.A. Corkern returned to lead the church again from 1927 to 1932.
 
1932
 
Clem Hardy was pastor
 
1940
 
The pastor was A.E. Harrison
 
1943
 
J.W. Ousley became the pastor and stayed until September 1945
 
1946
 
Dr. E.R. Page of Springfield, Missouri was called as pastor
 
1949
 
M.O. Davis was pastor until August 1954
 
1954 
 
Frank Gillham was the pastor
 
1957 
 
J. Garland McKee served as pastor
 
1959 
 
William F. Foster, known to many as “the walking pastor”, served in Kerens
 
1962
 
 Don Walker was pastor
 
1966
 
Charles W. Pringle was called to be pastor
 
1969 
 
Ralph Stovall was pastor
 
1975
 
 Rev. Van Houser was pastor
 
1981
 
Dr. Royce Measures was pastor
 
1987
 
Bro. Chuck Biscoe became the 33rd pastor of the First Baptist Church
 
1993
 
Doug Axtell served as pastor
1996
 
Wes Johnson came as pastor
 
2004
 
David Reaves served as Youth Pastor
 
2009
The church burned on October 17, 2009. Sunday school classes met in the church’s education wing after it was cleaned of smoke damage.
 
 
 
 
 
2012
 
It was two years and four months after the fire when the congregation moved into the new sanctuary on February 12, 2012.
Click on button below for the full history